The Crestone/Baca Land Trust
a community-based organization
The Crestone/Baca Land Trust is a community organization. We are run by volunteers and supported by member contributions and conservation grants developed and administered by our volunteer Board of Directors.
Our mission is to maintain and improve the quality of life of people and communities in the northeastern San Luis Valley by preserving the natural beauty, open space, ecological integrity and wildlife heritage of the region. Our current focus is on preserving the extraordinary lands in and around Crestone and the Baca Grande subdivision beneath the towering Sangre de Cristo’s northwestern peaks.
The Crestone/Baca Land Trust's objectives are to:
1. Conserve the beauty and ecological integrity of the natural landscapes and in particular, protect sensitive wetlands and riparian and wildlife corridors.
2. Identify, research, protect, enhance and monitor biological values and ecosystem services and functions of critical lands which have significant ecological, water resource, natural, scenic, wildlife, historical, cultural, spiritual and/or archaeological values.
3. Promote respectful relationships between people and nature and cultivate a culture of land stewardship through community cooperation, education and hands-on activities.
4. Facilitate environmental integrity through community cooperation. One of the most effective ways to achieve this is to encourage property owners to consolidate or place conservation easements on their property to preserve sensitive areas and reduce housing density in the Baca Grande subdivision.
5. Acquire, hold, manage or transfer lands and essential deeds and easements and water and mineral rights as are necessary to protect, restore and enhance the natural systems and resource values of the area.
CBLT is a 501(c)(3) scientific and educational charitable non-profit corporation. Your contribution is fully tax-deductible.
Won’t you invest in the future of our local community by becoming a member today?